Monday, January 21, 2008

Photos from the Philippines

IMG_8573

For the first two weeks of 2008 I joined a group from our church on a trip to Mindanao. There, nestled in the hills above Iligan lies the Life Resources Foundation, "a training center established to help mobilize the Church in the Philippines to reach the least-reached peoples with the gospel of Jesus Christ." The group I went with had a variety of goals for the time, including performing surgeries, teaching at a Bible conference, children's ministry, and encouraging the staff of the school. My task as a member of the team was photographer, but my main purpose in going was to meet the people there and see the work they are doing, since Torrey and I are interested in possibly joining that ministry after I finish my degree at Talbot. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and it was great getting to talk with everyone. I feel like I did get a good impression of the people and the ministry and the work God is doing in the Philippines through the LRF. Now for the decision part... As for the trip though, we attended the Bible conference for three days, and a number of the following pictures are from that time. We spent a few days in local villages, offering dental work, minor surgeries, and activities for the children. The doctors also spent three days in a local OR doing more involved surgeries. I bounced around and participated in a little of everything. I enjoyed spending a morning in the OR photographing surgeries, and one day in the village I got to be the circulating nurse for the surgery team. Here are some of my favorite pictures from the trip. For a much larger set, click here. If you have a strong stomach and would like to see the bloody pictures from surgery, click here.

Waiting in the airport in Manila for a plane that wouldn't come
IMG_7009

The view from our hotel room in Manila where the airline put us up for the night
IMG_7018

The view of the LRF from above
IMG_7612

Recent mudslide on the LRF property
IMG_7133

IMG_7541

IMG_7173

IMG_7640

The village of Tagaloan
IMG_7709

Cleaning teeth
IMG_7722

IMG_7707

In the grasp of a master storyteller
IMG_7774

IMG_7830

IMG_7825

IMG_7814

Our hotel in Iligan - Cheradel Suites
IMG_8138

Removing a goiter
IMG_8289

Waiting to have a hernia fixed
IMG_8332

Checkup time
IMG_8448

IMG_8561

IMG_8694

IMG_8706

The mayor sent the police to make sure nothing happened to us...
IMG_8653

So the commander took advantage of the opportunity to get his teeth cleaned
IMG_8726

And a parting shot
IMG_8813

I hope you have enjoyed these. Again, check here for a larger set.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW your pictures are amazing! Thank you for sharing! Best of luck with your future goals! -tula & nelson